pachai maamalai pol mene

Sunday, August 02, 2026

I knew I was right, but I LOST THE FRIEND



I faced a funny situation.. 
I had quoted  from Mahabharathm, and quoted the Parvam, adhyayam and number of slokam. 
I have translated the slokam in my own words, giving full meaning and giving my own interpretation, however good or bad it is.. 
The person was asking for the book from which I had extracted the commentary. 
The tone was challenging .
In such situations what can a person do.? 
There is no rule that one should not do anything original.. 
I am of the view that  the process of forming views and opinions  should be that  the author  should think and form his views and opinions according to his own thoughts and convictions and then present them in a cogent fashion.
Then, and then alone, he can go for references, references in  favour of his views as also references  that opposed  his views. If he finds and quotes any  such references he can acknowledge them and quote with citation.
In the situation I faced  where I was trying to form an independent  view  on the basis of a raw couplet I asked my friend whether there is any rule that I should not write something myself. 
I knew I was right, but I LOST THE FRIEND.

No comments:

Post a Comment