pachai maamalai pol mene

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Two personal experiences



Two personal experiences    
Two personal experiences haunt me, and I am at a loss to find any explanation for human rudeness at times.
Fifty years ago, in 1977 I had landed up in Madras, having secured a government appointment and as a total stranger to that town, I had to live in the Old Murugesa Naicker Mansion at Triplicane. There, usually one room is shared by many and each had to confine himself to his cot, the space underneath the cot and one drawer in a woodentable and a little space on the table. Even though away from home I could not forget all my religious practices and I was keeping a small photo of Guruvayurappan and a small wick lamp. 
I used to light the lamp every morning very early and used to chant Narayananamam. 
The inmates in the lodge, most of them, were unruly and they spent their time in banter and vices like drinking and smoking and being a meek Palakkattan Iyer, I had little chance to remonstrate. 
But practically each and every inmate was quick with derisiveremarks when they heard me murmuring "Narayana, Narayana.. in the morning, taking care not to disturb others. 
They continued teasing me and I continued my japam for seven years and continue to practice the japam till date. 
But the bitter memories of those days give me nightmares even today. 
 On the Sivaratri day, the Government of India having deemed it fit to make it a working day,  I had to attend duty for about 16 hours.  
The long office hours were my own choice because at that time I occupied a senior place in the officialdom in a different part of the country, with heavy responsibilities. 
My travel to office involved about thirty miles of commuting by bus. 
I could not pay my resepects to Lord Siva on that day.
 Because of my preoccupation with my profession, I had to devote my commuting time for chanting Vishnu Sahasranamam etc.,
 I was returning home in a bus on the Sivaratri day/night, I thought I could chant some Panchaksharam and SreeRudram sitting quietly in a corner of the bus which was taking me home. 
The bus was fairly crowded and filled with din and bustle of people talking so many things, sense or nonsense, the conductor shouting at the travellelrs to move and give change etc., and cell phones bellowing … 
But the man sitting next to me spotted that I was doing some prayer, and immediately shouted at me "If you want to pray, you should sit at home and you should not sit in a public bus and cause nuisance to other passengers"
History had repeated..
 Once it was Narayana Namam which was tormenting me thirty years earlier and now it was Namassivaya. 
What a socilalism and unity in diversity for Gods. 
Was I wrong in praying, was/is the Almighty displeased with me allthese years , or is this because I am a docile Brahmin? 
I know, in either case, I would not have won by picking up a fight.
 However, I am not Prahlada to smile and drink poisonchanting "Narayana".. I don't know.
 One thing is sure, the society's attitude will not change even after 30 years or even 300 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment